Complete Guide To Ecommerce Website Design – Part 1
Ecommerce is growing and it is understandable why. The technology that enables online buying has become robust enough and capable enough that customers feel confident about making a purchase online.
Size of the Ecommerce Marketplace
The size of the U.S. ecommerce business in 2019 is projected to surpass $600 billion from $343 billion in 2015, according to Statista. Similarly, the size of worldwide retail ecommerce sales was 1.55 trillion USD in 2015 and this is projected to grow to 3.4 trillion USD in 2019. No wonder Amazon continues to be such a hot stock despite very little in profits. Wal-Mart is scrambling to master this new online domain and recently acquired Jet.com to better compete with Amazon in the online retail or ecommerce space.
No doubt Amazon is way ahead and must be working hard at improving its algorithms to make even better product suggestions or recommendations to customers based on their past purchase history.
Big data, machine learning, analytics, artificial intelligence-based software tools must be helping the giant online retailers improve their product suggestions, customer service and marketing efforts.
The technology behind the booming ecommerce business
✓ A. The latest high-end Smartphones costing more than $500 from Apple, Samsung, Xiaomi, Lenovo, LG, and many other companies are capable computing devices with more than enough screen resolution to view product images or water product videos. Even $200 Android Smartphones are pretty good at these tasks these days.
✓ B. The 4G networks are growing and expanding around the world. This enables ecommerce business growth as consumers can seamlessly browse and purchase products online while on the move.
✓ C. Online payments have become smooth and trustworthy and the payment options are expanding with the launch of services like Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, and others.
(Apple Pay will soon work on the Web too)
(Apple Pay partner establishments are growing in number)
✓ D. Over time, ecommerce businesses have improved their shipping options and Amazon continues to stretch the envelope with fast delivery options such as the free two-hour delivery option for Amazon Prime subscribers as well as one-hour delivery for a fee.
All in all, the drudgery of the shopping experience that David Foster Wallace referred to in his famous commencement address is giving way to a more convenient shopping option — ecommerce or online shopping.
With online shopping, you can browse products — books or jewelry, baby shower gifts or wedding gifts — and then order what you like. The product is then delivered to your doorstep and you have avoided driving to a supermarket in ‘SUV heavy traffic.’
This works whether it is for the boring types of shopping such as grocery shopping or the more exciting stuff such as flowers or dresses or other gift items for your boyfriends/girlfriends/spouses. Think Valentine’s Day shopping when the search for ‘flower shops’ or ‘florists’ goes through a spike in Google Trends.
(Google Trends clearly shows how the search for ‘florists’ spikes around Valentine’s Day)
How and why to start a new ecommerce business
When you consider that Amazon has been around now for more than 20 years (it started life as Cadabra in 1994 to be precise), setting up a new ecommerce business in 2016 may appear to be a belated decision but there are always niche areas and markets and products and services and specialized markets or verticals or business opportunities.
No wonder lots of new ecommerce businesses are starting even now. So, if you have a winning online business idea, you should give it a try. The barriers to enter into online business have become lower and the online marketplace is growing every year and expanding to newer international marketplaces.
With streamlined international shipping options and multiple online payment options, targeting customers internationally has also become feasible thus expanding the ecommerce marketplace to span the globe. Almost.
At the same time, ecommerce has become local and even hyperlocal. You can set up an online florist shop to serve customers in a specific part of New York City, Los Angeles, or other cities.
(Various online florists in NYC specify where they deliver in NYC)
See this florist in Los Angeles that also specifies the locations, areas, hospitals and zip codes in LA where they deliver.
The same applies to food home delivery businesses. In fact, sites like this show a list of restaurants that deliver in different locations in different cities. And there are more sites like this who list more such restaurants.
(You can see lists of online home delivery restaurants that serve your city and your locality)
Choose your ecommerce platform
One of the factors enabling the growth of the entire ecommerce business is the easy availability of ecommerce website design and development platforms which has lowered the entry barrier for new entrants and aspiring entrepreneurs and startups.
There are several of these for you to choose from and we list the top choices here.
1. Magento. It’s a pretty popular ecommerce platform. It powers about a quarter of a million online marketplaces. There are lots of free and premium Magento extensions available as well as lots of free and premium responsive themes and templates to choose from. So, you can choose your themes and templates based on whether you are opening a women’s clothing online store or jewelry store online or an online bakery store or a shoes or electronics ecommerce website or a wine delivery shop online or a florist or household goods online store and so on. Magento comes in many flavors such as Magento Community Edition, Magento Enterprise Edition, and Magento Enterprise Cloud Edition. Magento’s customer showcase page lists many of the stores who are using Magento.
(Olympus uses Magento)
(stella & dot is powered by Magento)
(Bing Lee is an Australian retailer powered by Magento)
(Fun4Kids sells a variety of stuff in different price bands to engage kids of all types)
(Vizio website is also powered by Magento)
You can find a quality Magento development company with whom you can establish a business partnership to launch your ecommerce website and to perform SEO and digital marketing activities including social media marketing, PPC ads, digital advertising, and content marketing.
2. Shopify It is an effective ecommerce platform for smaller startups. The trial period on Shopify lasts for 14 days after which it is paid. Lots of online stores use Shopify.
There are a range of good quality mobile-friendly Shopify themes — including responsive Shopify themes — available to make your online marketplace look unique and give it unique features. These themes are either free or premium and are designed for various different industries such as fashion, jewelry, electronics, food & drink, home & garden, furniture, health & beauty, sports & recreation, toys & games and so forth.
(Shopify has a wide variety of themes to choose from)
(Beardbrand is powered by Shopify)
(Tessemae’s is powered by Shopify)
(Death Wish Coffee is powered by Shopify)
(Brilliant.co is powered by Shopify)
(Happiness Abscissa is powered by Shopify)
3. WooCommerce. It is one more common ecommerce platform that powers about one-third of ecommerce websites. It works only on WordPress sites but has hundreds of payment gateways.
4. Bigcommerce. It is powering tens of thousands of online stores. There are no transaction fees on any of the different plans.
5. PrestaShop. It’s one more free, open source ecommerce platform.
- How To Call Batch Apex By Scheduler Class Within Salesforce
- What Is The Importance Of Google Algorithm Updates
- How To Create Dynamic Dependent Picklist Of Objects Within Salesforce
- What Is Wrapper Class & How To Use It In Salesforce
- How To Create Pagination Within Salesforce
- Tips For Hiring A Good Offshore Drupal Development Company
- Web Development Mistakes That Affect Your Online Reputation
- How To Integrate Google Maps Into Your Salesforce Software
- Check Your Link Building Strategy For 2014
- Tips For Selling Products Through Social Networking
- How To Create A Chart With Salesforce
- Benefits of Using India For Outsourcing & Offshore Development
- How To Integrate Salesforce With Facebook
- What Is Service Cloud Console In Salesforce & How To Enable It
- Superior Offshore Web Development At A Reasonable Cost
- How To Create Bucket Fields In Your Salesforce Reports
- 5 Things To Consider When Hiring A Drupal Developer
- Growth Of E-commerce Website Development
- Challenges In Hiring An Offshore Web Development Company
- 10 Tips When Creating Batch Apex In Salesforce
- What To Include & What To Exclude In SEO Plans
- How To Create An Opportunity Using A Visualforce Page In Salesforce
- Hire An Offshore Ruby On Rails Development Company Over A Freelancer
- Hire Drupal Developers Offshore To Increase Your Capabilities
- Effective SEO In A Post Panda Update – The Rules Have Changed
- Common Mistakes In Offshore Web Development
- What To Consider While Hiring A Dedicated Ruby On Rails Developer?
- Smart Phone & Tablet User Penetration
- Tips For Hiring A Good Offshore PHP Development Company
- Why Responsive Web Design Is Essential For Your Business
- How To Email Documents From Salesforce
- Website Development And Website Design Company India
- Why Work With An Offshore Development Company?
- How To Create Tab Panel In Salesforce
- How To Avoid 5 Common Off-Page SEO Mistakes
- The Multi-Billion Dollar Offshore Software Development Industry
- What Are The Advantages Of Digital Marketing Over Traditional Marketing?
- SEO & Conversational Keyword Search
- How To Avoid 5 Common On-Page SEO Mistakes
- How To Add Google Authorship And Its Benefits For Better SEO
- What’s Better For Facebook Ads: CPC Or CPM?
- Questions To Ask Your Potential Search Engine Optimization Partner
- How To Create Batch Apex In Salesforce
- Benefits Of Offshore PHP Development For Your Businesses
- Offshore Magento Development Means More Than Just Development Help
- What To Look For When Hiring A Dedicated OpenCart Developer
- Why You Should Consider Hiring Joomla Developers Offshore
- Stop Using Free Web Templates – Hire A Web Development Company
- How To Manage An Offshore Development Company?
- Hire Offshore Software Professionals To Help Your Business
- Offshore Development Is A Sensible Solution For Recessionary Times
- Why You Should Offshore Your Joomla Website Development
- 5 Tips To Help You Hire A Good Offshore PHP Development Company
- Reasons Why Salesforce CRM Customization Is Easy
- PHP Development – Turn Your Website Into A Multi-Featured Web Application
- 5 Things To Ask A Web Development Company Before Starting Work
- How A Multifaceted Web Development Company Can Help You?
- Take Advantage By Hiring A PHP Development Company From India
- Use Social Media Marketing To Improve Your Brand Identity
- Hiring Dedicated Developers From Offshore Development Companies
- See Measurable Results By Hiring Dedicated Ruby On Rails Developer
- Can “Developed By” Links Hurt Your SEO?
- Avoid 4 Common WordPress Development Mistakes
- How To Get All Salesforce Components In Force.com IDE
- The Manifold Advantages Of Working With An Offshore Web Development Company
- Web Development Company In India Defined
- Hire A Dedicated Drupal Developer To Develop A High Performance CMS
- Offshore Development – The Most Beneficial And Cost Effective Way To Outsource Your Business
- What To Look For When Hiring An Offshore Development Company
- Why Dedicated PHP Web Developers Are In Demand
- How To Avoid Some Common Mistakes When Working With An Offshore Web Development Company
- How To Choose An SEO Company
- Factors To Consider When Hiring Offshore Developers In India
- What To Look For When Hiring Dedicated Magento Developers
- Why Google Create Its Own Title Instead Of Using Yours
- 3 Challenges of Working with an Offshore Web Development Company
- Why Ruby On Rails Development Has Become Popular
- Why Hire A Web Development Company That Also Offers SEO
- 10 Tips And Tricks For Salesforce
- Are Back-links Losing Their Importance To Google Search Rankings
- The Significance Of A Salesforce Developer
- 4 Reasons to Hire A Web Development Agency Over A Freelancer
- Hire A PHP Developer- How Outsourcing Can Be A Key To Success
- Importance Of Strategic Digital Marketing For Business Growth
- Factors To Keep In Mind Before Hiring Dedicated Magento Developer
- Web Development India – For Prompt And Accurate Services
- Looking For An Offshore PHP Development Company, Where Do I Begin?
- 5 SEO Myths
- How To Choose A Company When Hiring Dedicated PHP Developers
- Why You Should Optimize For Local Search
- Hiring Offshore WordPress Developers Can Help Your Business
- How To Use Social Networking To Market Your Business
- Why Offshore Web Development To India Makes Business Sense
- 5 Factors To Consider When Hiring A Web Development Company
- Top Five Benefits Of Salesforce
- Benefits Of Hiring A Dedicated PHP Developer From India
- Using SEO & Social Media Together
- How Can An SEO Company Help Your Profile Online
- Strategic Importance Of Mobile SEO
- Choose The Social Media Network That Suits Your Business
- June 2022
- May 2022
- March 2022
- January 2022
- August 2021
- July 2021
- June 2021
- May 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- September 2018
- April 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013