Complete Guide To Ecommerce Website Design – Part 2
Tips and best practices for ecommerce websites
A successful ecommerce website is like a successful movie — many elements have to come together and work to create a great final product.
A great hit movie will most likely start with a great script and a great screenplay — whether original or adapted. And then the screenplay has to be translated onto the screen by a great cinematographer and director who depend upon the great acting talents of the actors and actreses who portray the characters of the screenplay on screen.
A successful ecommerce website will have a superb look on all devices and screen sizes. It will have fantastic user experience (UX) built into it right from the Home Page right down to the Product Pages and checkout pages.
A successful ecommerce website will need to have both on-page and off-page search engine optimization (SEO).
Some Hollywood movies become blockbusters by using cutting-edge special effects that require big budgets — Titinic, Avatar, and so on. Their ecommerce counterparts could be Amazon, Nordstrom, Macy’s, Bergdorf Goodman and so on in their respective niches.
But memorable movies need not have big budgets — Rain Man, As Good As It Gets are examples. Similarly, startup and small business ecommerce websites can have website features or other aspects to their business that are similar to or even better than what is available on the blockbuster ecommerce sites named in the previous paragraph.
So, here are some tips to implement and some checklists to complete to build a blockbuster ecommerce website.
1. Make Your Home Page as Distinguished, Distinctive, Recognizable and Familiar as Harrison Ford
A movie’s success is, to a certain extent, guaranteed when you’ve big name actors in leading roles. Hire a Harrison Ford, Tom Cruise, or George Clooney and others in their league and you have a good chance of a superhit movie.
Your ecommerce website likewise needs a similarly recognizable persona. It will take a great and prominent brand logo, a single, prominent, high-quality image, a simple and intuitive main menu and product categories on the main men, and finally a prominent search box at the top to build a site home page that will be a foundation for your online store’s enduring success.
(Bergdorf Goodman uses a single image on its Home Page)
(Neiman Marcus has a slideshow of three images on its Home Page)
(Stella McCartney’s site has a different take on images on the Home Page)
You can ensure your ecommerce website has these home page elements in place by going for Magento ecommerce development by a professional Magento development company.
2. As Responsive As It Gets
A great story and screenplay is the foundation of a memorable movie like As Good As It Gets. Similarly, building a responsive website is an essential foundational requirement for an ecommerce website’s success.
Luckily, there is no lack of variety and choice when it comes to responsive themes for all the different ecommerce platforms. You can work with your Magento ecommerce development partner to select a responsive theme for your online store which will help you build a successful online business.
There are various responsive Magento themes that are designed keeping various businesses in mind. A professional Magento development company will help you select the right and best responsive theme that is designed for your business vertical.
Is your online business going to be about specialized sporting gear — from boxing gloves to basketball hoops — or an online made-to-order home delivery bakery and cupcakes service? Perhaps you are planning an online store and sell other specialized food items. Do you plan to venture into food or drinks or perhaps combine both? Why not? Online jewelry stores are a good idea as well and there are good responsive Magento themes for that! What about something functional … or artistic, like an online furniture store?
Here are more responsive Magento themes categorized into fashion stores, shoes stores, electronics stores, lingerie stores, cycling store, game store, car store, book store, bakery store, jewelry store, kids store, traveling gear store, tools store, sports store, plumbing supplies store, packing products store, fireworks store, art store, clothing store, mobile store, beauty store, furniture and interiors store, gift store, weapons store, marine store, antique store, restaurant store, T-shirt store, food & drink store, digital store, wine store, wedding store, auto spare parts store, pets store, supermarket shopping store, sunglasses & eye wear store, toys store, apparel store, candy store, and so forth.
Browsing all these Magento responsive themes might even give you insights about possible new online business ventures you might want to start? At any rate, if and once you have decided on your online business venture, you should check out the websites of your peers and competitors to see what they are getting right and what they lack in terms of website features that you might offer on your own ecommerce website as a competitive advantage.
3. Mobile is The New black
Mobile ecommerce is the new growth engine of ecommerce. Paypal research shows that global mobile commerce growth is thrice eCommerce growth. Mobile commerce in the US is projected to grow at a rate of approximately 30 percent each year through 2016.
ABI Intelligence report states that by 2020, mobile commerce will make up 45 percent of total e-commerce or $284 billion in sales. That’s more than three times what’s expected for 2016: BI Intelligence predicts mobile commerce will hit 20.6 percent of overall e-commerce, which is $79 billion.
“Millennials use their phones as their primary device, and as they make more, they’ll spend more. And on the retailers’ end, they are going to create more opportunities for people to buy,” said Jaime Toplin, a research associate with BI Intelligence.
Meanwhile, eMarketer expects “US retail mcommerce sales will reach $123.13 billion in 2016, a 39.1% increase over 2015 and more than double the amount in 2014. As a result of this rapid growth, mcommerce will account for just under one-third of retail ecommerce sales and 2.6% of total retail this year.”
“The bulk of this growth is happening on smartphones. Smartphone retail mcommerce in the US nearly doubled in 2015 to $39.40 billion, a 95.8% year-over-year increase. Although the growth rate will slow down to 49.9% this year, absolute growth will be roughly the same: nearly $20 billion additional sales,” eMarketer notes.
To make sure you ecommerce business does not miss out on all the mobile action, your website will need to go beyond just being responsive and be mobile-optimized. If customers want to browse the options on your florist or bakery website and then quickly want to add an item to the cart or check out an item’s price or note down your business contact info, they should be able to do all of these without any hassles.
Your mobile-ready ecommerce website should be fast loading as this is a major factor in deciding whether users will use your website or bounce away. Ideally, it should load in less than 3 seconds. A listing shows how some of the leading ecommerce brands in the world are losing out in the mobile ecommerce segment.
Of course, you cannot have a website without beautiful, high resolution product images on the home page as well as on the product pages. So, it will be a balancing act between choosing good quality, optimized images and making sure the site loads reasonably fast on mobile devices.
- How To Call Batch Apex By Scheduler Class Within Salesforce
- What Is The Importance Of Google Algorithm Updates
- How To Create Dynamic Dependent Picklist Of Objects Within Salesforce
- What Is Wrapper Class & How To Use It In Salesforce
- How To Create Pagination Within Salesforce
- Tips For Hiring A Good Offshore Drupal Development Company
- Web Development Mistakes That Affect Your Online Reputation
- How To Integrate Google Maps Into Your Salesforce Software
- Check Your Link Building Strategy For 2014
- Tips For Selling Products Through Social Networking
- How To Create A Chart With Salesforce
- Benefits of Using India For Outsourcing & Offshore Development
- How To Integrate Salesforce With Facebook
- What Is Service Cloud Console In Salesforce & How To Enable It
- Superior Offshore Web Development At A Reasonable Cost
- How To Create Bucket Fields In Your Salesforce Reports
- 5 Things To Consider When Hiring A Drupal Developer
- Growth Of E-commerce Website Development
- Challenges In Hiring An Offshore Web Development Company
- 10 Tips When Creating Batch Apex In Salesforce
- What To Include & What To Exclude In SEO Plans
- How To Create An Opportunity Using A Visualforce Page In Salesforce
- Hire An Offshore Ruby On Rails Development Company Over A Freelancer
- Hire Drupal Developers Offshore To Increase Your Capabilities
- Effective SEO In A Post Panda Update – The Rules Have Changed
- Common Mistakes In Offshore Web Development
- What To Consider While Hiring A Dedicated Ruby On Rails Developer?
- Smart Phone & Tablet User Penetration
- Tips For Hiring A Good Offshore PHP Development Company
- Why Responsive Web Design Is Essential For Your Business
- How To Email Documents From Salesforce
- Website Development And Website Design Company India
- Why Work With An Offshore Development Company?
- How To Create Tab Panel In Salesforce
- How To Avoid 5 Common Off-Page SEO Mistakes
- The Multi-Billion Dollar Offshore Software Development Industry
- What Are The Advantages Of Digital Marketing Over Traditional Marketing?
- SEO & Conversational Keyword Search
- How To Avoid 5 Common On-Page SEO Mistakes
- How To Add Google Authorship And Its Benefits For Better SEO
- What’s Better For Facebook Ads: CPC Or CPM?
- Questions To Ask Your Potential Search Engine Optimization Partner
- How To Create Batch Apex In Salesforce
- Benefits Of Offshore PHP Development For Your Businesses
- Offshore Magento Development Means More Than Just Development Help
- Why You Should Consider Hiring Joomla Developers Offshore
- What To Look For When Hiring A Dedicated OpenCart Developer
- Stop Using Free Web Templates – Hire A Web Development Company
- How To Manage An Offshore Development Company?
- Hire Offshore Software Professionals To Help Your Business
- Offshore Development Is A Sensible Solution For Recessionary Times
- Why You Should Offshore Your Joomla Website Development
- 5 Tips To Help You Hire A Good Offshore PHP Development Company
- Reasons Why Salesforce CRM Customization Is Easy
- PHP Development – Turn Your Website Into A Multi-Featured Web Application
- 5 Things To Ask A Web Development Company Before Starting Work
- How A Multifaceted Web Development Company Can Help You?
- Take Advantage By Hiring A PHP Development Company From India
- Use Social Media Marketing To Improve Your Brand Identity
- Hiring Dedicated Developers From Offshore Development Companies
- See Measurable Results By Hiring Dedicated Ruby On Rails Developer
- Avoid 4 Common WordPress Development Mistakes
- Can “Developed By” Links Hurt Your SEO?
- How To Get All Salesforce Components In Force.com IDE
- The Manifold Advantages Of Working With An Offshore Web Development Company
- Web Development Company In India Defined
- Hire A Dedicated Drupal Developer To Develop A High Performance CMS
- Offshore Development – The Most Beneficial And Cost Effective Way To Outsource Your Business
- What To Look For When Hiring An Offshore Development Company
- Why Dedicated PHP Web Developers Are In Demand
- How To Avoid Some Common Mistakes When Working With An Offshore Web Development Company
- How To Choose An SEO Company
- Factors To Consider When Hiring Offshore Developers In India
- What To Look For When Hiring Dedicated Magento Developers
- Why Google Create Its Own Title Instead Of Using Yours
- 3 Challenges of Working with an Offshore Web Development Company
- Why Ruby On Rails Development Has Become Popular
- Why Hire A Web Development Company That Also Offers SEO
- 10 Tips And Tricks For Salesforce
- Are Back-links Losing Their Importance To Google Search Rankings
- The Significance Of A Salesforce Developer
- 4 Reasons to Hire A Web Development Agency Over A Freelancer
- Hire A PHP Developer- How Outsourcing Can Be A Key To Success
- Importance Of Strategic Digital Marketing For Business Growth
- Factors To Keep In Mind Before Hiring Dedicated Magento Developer
- Web Development India – For Prompt And Accurate Services
- Looking For An Offshore PHP Development Company, Where Do I Begin?
- 5 SEO Myths
- How To Choose A Company When Hiring Dedicated PHP Developers
- Why You Should Optimize For Local Search
- Hiring Offshore WordPress Developers Can Help Your Business
- How To Use Social Networking To Market Your Business
- Why Offshore Web Development To India Makes Business Sense
- 5 Factors To Consider When Hiring A Web Development Company
- Top Five Benefits Of Salesforce
- Benefits Of Hiring A Dedicated PHP Developer From India
- Using SEO & Social Media Together
- How Can An SEO Company Help Your Profile Online
- Strategic Importance Of Mobile SEO
- Choose The Social Media Network That Suits Your Business
- September 2023
- August 2023
- July 2023
- June 2022
- May 2022
- March 2022
- January 2022
- August 2021
- July 2021
- June 2021
- May 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- September 2018
- April 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013