Complete Guide To Ecommerce Website Design – Part 3
4. The SEOrest Way to Success
As much as you need a fabulous home page for your website, you probably need top notch SEO for your website even more. As much as you need a responsive theme, you need SEO equally as much, if not more.
Good SEO is crucial to the success of your website. It will ensure your potential customers find you when they make search engine queries for products that you sell. SEO is a vast topic and there are on-page and off-page SEO aspects. SEO these days has moved far beyond ‘keywords’ though keywords continue to be one component of SEO.
Here are a few website SEO aspects to keep in mind as you go about planning your ecommerce website.
A. Hit the sweet spot of Google with original product descriptions. Whether it is clothing, jewelry, bakery products, baby gift items, wedding gifts or anything else, make the product descriptions creative and original. If the product is manufactured by someone else, you can go the extra mile by creating your own product description for that product rather than simply copying the manufacturer’s verbiage.
If it is your own creation, then you can always tell the story of how that product came to be and why it is a great product.
B. FAQ Pages and Blogs for more original content. What are the most frequent questions from your customers? Perhaps you get asked those questions via your customer care email or contact number. Capture those queries and answer them all and put the Q and As on an FAQ page. The FAQ page will be usually located on the ‘About Us’ main menu option or a ‘Support’ link on the home page or under the About Us option.
If you have lots of products or lots of questions and answers on the FAQ page, then you should categorize them in a user-friendly manner. May be include a search box on the FAQ page. At any rate, the FAQ page should be accessible from any page on your website. So, it can be a link in small font in the header or footer area of the website. Here are a few FAQ pages of the likes of Spotify, SoundCloud, Pinterest, Vimeo, McDonald’s Canda and others.
Apple has different FAQ pages that deal with different aspects of Apple such as the Mac App Store and Apple ID but their central support page starts here. Samsung’s FAQ page is pretty detailed.
Fitbit’s FAQ page is simple and helpful.
(Fitbit’s FAQ Page offers multiple support options for users)
A link to your product delivery info and Returns Policy can be put on the footer of your home page.
Ikea says on its Returns Policy page that it’s okay to change your mind.
(Ikea says it’s ok to change your mind)
Apple details its Returns & Refunds policy here.
Amazon’s Returns & Refunds policies for its bewildering variety of products including virtual products such as Kindle eBooks are detailed here.
A website blog can contain original and fresh content for an SEO boost.
(Fitbit’s blog has interesting content for fitness enthusiasts)
You can update it frequently with content about the latest product additions or other helpful info — say, recipes of the cupcakes and bakery items you sell or helpful articles about hiking the Appalachian Trail or how to do whitewater rafting safely if you sell hiking or rafting gear or camping or adventure sports gear.
You can add or attach a WordPress blog to your Magento ecommerce site. If you are planning a Magento ecommerce site, your Magento ecommerce development partner will or should take care of adding the free WordPress blog to your site.
C. Short and Descriptive Keyword-Rich URLs Give You An SEO Boost. Most website URLs these days are keyword-optimized and semantic. Ecommerce websites are no exception. Your website’s product page URLs should contain the relevant keywords and not much extra. The keywords need to be in the product page’s Title as well as in the image Alt tags which will also help in case of Google image searches.
Be as specific about the product as possible. If you have two separate product pages for two items of clothing that only differ in color, have their page URLs specify the color in them. See how Bergdorf specifies burgundy vs. brown vs. black leather shoes or loafers for men.
(Bergdorf Goodman Product Page URLs specify designer name and colors)
This will improve your chances of figuring in the organic search results when someone searches for that item with that specific color or designer in mind. After all, someone looking for a burgundy colored slip on shoe may not be satisfied with a black or brown alternative. People are choosy and colors have to match and this probably applies to women’s clothing even more.
D. Get SEO Boost From User Generated Content. Make the most of user-generated content such as product reviews. If you are confident about the products you sell and the level of service you provide, you should be confident enough to let customers write about their shopping experience as well as review the product or products they have bought from your site. Product reviews are growing more common by the day on ecommerce websites.
(Amazon sets the standard in customer reviews)
The fresh content will get you an SEO boost. This is also a product page best practice as customers these days like to read online reviews before making a purchase. Online reviews are even more important for local businesses as 92% of consumers read the online reviews. And these online reviews do impact customers’ purchasing decisions. So if you are planning a local ecommerce site such as florist or bakery shop and so on, you have to take care of local SEO and online reputation management of your business. And here’s a nice listing of online review sites for collecting business & product reviews. With good online customer reviews for the products on your website and a good overall customer rating for a product, your chances of more customers picking the product up increases.
E. Say NO to duplicate content and YES to internal links. Duplicate content is a ‘No-No’ if you want to rank well in search engine result pages (SERPs). By using unique product descriptions, rather than manufacturer-supplied or boilerplate content or product descriptions, you already cut down on the duplicate content risk.
Archives, product filtering, etc. may also generate duplicate content. Make sure to block these pages from being indexed by using the robots.txt file. Your Magento or Shopify ecommerce development partner should take care of these aspects of your site.
These problems will crop up as your site grows old.
On the other hand, internal linking between different product pages and ‘similar items’ recommendations will keep customers on your site for longer and reduce bounce rates. You can also show what other items were bought by other customers who bought that item.
F. Do not delete pages with out of stock items or items that you no longer sell. This is even more important if that page ranked well and had a lot of traffic or brought a lot of customers to your site. Deleted pages will mean broken links and an SEO penalty.
Use ‘301 redirects’ instead. If you no longer stock a particular item, you can instead link to a page with a similar item or link to the category page with lots of similar items.
G. Use Meaningful Page Titles and Creative Meta Descriptions for Higher Click Through Rates (CTRs). The page title is the clickable phrase that shows up in the SERPs. If it is optimized well, you can increase your CTR by more than 20%. It should be from 50 to 60 characters in length so that the page title is displayed completely in the SERPs. Similarly, meta descriptions also affect CTR by letting the audience know about the content of that link. Google has confirmed that meta content do not affect ranking algorithms. However, an excellent meta description can still help in increasing your site CTR. It can be up to 160 characters in length.
5. No Compromise on Kick-Ass Images
This applies to the images on the home page as well as the multiple, zoomable 360 degree images on the product pages.
Raise your image game.
The cost of professional quality photographs has gone down and network bandwidths have gone up. Hence, you have no reason to have poor quality, low resolution images on the home page or the product pages.
Porsche not surprisingly is good at showcasing its cars using images.
(Choose your model and click on the Explore button to visit the page for that particular Porsche model)
But you don’t have to be Porsche to use nice imagery.
(Click on the guitar image on a product page and an expanded view opens up on the Rogue Guitar Shop site)
(Fun4Kids has superb product images that are zoomable using your mouse)
(Brilliant.co uses superb images and lets users pick their own colors)
So, whether you are planning an online wine shop or fashion clothing or ladies bags or bakery products, you need great images.
At the same time, site load times impact the site’s SEO. Google keeps tabs on how fast a site loads. Images are one factor in determining how long it takes for a site to load. So, keep in mind that the images need to be optimized.
- How To Call Batch Apex By Scheduler Class Within Salesforce
- What Is The Importance Of Google Algorithm Updates
- How To Create Dynamic Dependent Picklist Of Objects Within Salesforce
- What Is Wrapper Class & How To Use It In Salesforce
- How To Create Pagination Within Salesforce
- Tips For Hiring A Good Offshore Drupal Development Company
- Web Development Mistakes That Affect Your Online Reputation
- How To Integrate Google Maps Into Your Salesforce Software
- Check Your Link Building Strategy For 2014
- Tips For Selling Products Through Social Networking
- How To Create A Chart With Salesforce
- Benefits of Using India For Outsourcing & Offshore Development
- How To Integrate Salesforce With Facebook
- What Is Service Cloud Console In Salesforce & How To Enable It
- Superior Offshore Web Development At A Reasonable Cost
- How To Create Bucket Fields In Your Salesforce Reports
- 5 Things To Consider When Hiring A Drupal Developer
- Growth Of E-commerce Website Development
- Challenges In Hiring An Offshore Web Development Company
- 10 Tips When Creating Batch Apex In Salesforce
- What To Include & What To Exclude In SEO Plans
- How To Create An Opportunity Using A Visualforce Page In Salesforce
- Hire An Offshore Ruby On Rails Development Company Over A Freelancer
- Hire Drupal Developers Offshore To Increase Your Capabilities
- Effective SEO In A Post Panda Update – The Rules Have Changed
- Common Mistakes In Offshore Web Development
- What To Consider While Hiring A Dedicated Ruby On Rails Developer?
- Smart Phone & Tablet User Penetration
- Tips For Hiring A Good Offshore PHP Development Company
- Why Responsive Web Design Is Essential For Your Business
- How To Email Documents From Salesforce
- Website Development And Website Design Company India
- Why Work With An Offshore Development Company?
- How To Create Tab Panel In Salesforce
- How To Avoid 5 Common Off-Page SEO Mistakes
- The Multi-Billion Dollar Offshore Software Development Industry
- What Are The Advantages Of Digital Marketing Over Traditional Marketing?
- SEO & Conversational Keyword Search
- How To Avoid 5 Common On-Page SEO Mistakes
- How To Add Google Authorship And Its Benefits For Better SEO
- What’s Better For Facebook Ads: CPC Or CPM?
- Questions To Ask Your Potential Search Engine Optimization Partner
- How To Create Batch Apex In Salesforce
- Benefits Of Offshore PHP Development For Your Businesses
- Offshore Magento Development Means More Than Just Development Help
- Why You Should Consider Hiring Joomla Developers Offshore
- What To Look For When Hiring A Dedicated OpenCart Developer
- Stop Using Free Web Templates – Hire A Web Development Company
- How To Manage An Offshore Development Company?
- Hire Offshore Software Professionals To Help Your Business
- Offshore Development Is A Sensible Solution For Recessionary Times
- Why You Should Offshore Your Joomla Website Development
- 5 Tips To Help You Hire A Good Offshore PHP Development Company
- Reasons Why Salesforce CRM Customization Is Easy
- PHP Development – Turn Your Website Into A Multi-Featured Web Application
- 5 Things To Ask A Web Development Company Before Starting Work
- How A Multifaceted Web Development Company Can Help You?
- Take Advantage By Hiring A PHP Development Company From India
- Use Social Media Marketing To Improve Your Brand Identity
- Hiring Dedicated Developers From Offshore Development Companies
- See Measurable Results By Hiring Dedicated Ruby On Rails Developer
- Can “Developed By” Links Hurt Your SEO?
- Avoid 4 Common WordPress Development Mistakes
- How To Get All Salesforce Components In Force.com IDE
- The Manifold Advantages Of Working With An Offshore Web Development Company
- Web Development Company In India Defined
- Hire A Dedicated Drupal Developer To Develop A High Performance CMS
- Offshore Development – The Most Beneficial And Cost Effective Way To Outsource Your Business
- What To Look For When Hiring An Offshore Development Company
- Why Dedicated PHP Web Developers Are In Demand
- How To Avoid Some Common Mistakes When Working With An Offshore Web Development Company
- How To Choose An SEO Company
- Factors To Consider When Hiring Offshore Developers In India
- What To Look For When Hiring Dedicated Magento Developers
- Why Google Create Its Own Title Instead Of Using Yours
- 3 Challenges of Working with an Offshore Web Development Company
- Why Ruby On Rails Development Has Become Popular
- Why Hire A Web Development Company That Also Offers SEO
- 10 Tips And Tricks For Salesforce
- Are Back-links Losing Their Importance To Google Search Rankings
- The Significance Of A Salesforce Developer
- 4 Reasons to Hire A Web Development Agency Over A Freelancer
- Hire A PHP Developer- How Outsourcing Can Be A Key To Success
- Importance Of Strategic Digital Marketing For Business Growth
- Factors To Keep In Mind Before Hiring Dedicated Magento Developer
- Web Development India – For Prompt And Accurate Services
- Looking For An Offshore PHP Development Company, Where Do I Begin?
- 5 SEO Myths
- How To Choose A Company When Hiring Dedicated PHP Developers
- Why You Should Optimize For Local Search
- Hiring Offshore WordPress Developers Can Help Your Business
- How To Use Social Networking To Market Your Business
- Why Offshore Web Development To India Makes Business Sense
- 5 Factors To Consider When Hiring A Web Development Company
- Top Five Benefits Of Salesforce
- Benefits Of Hiring A Dedicated PHP Developer From India
- Using SEO & Social Media Together
- How Can An SEO Company Help Your Profile Online
- Strategic Importance Of Mobile SEO
- Choose The Social Media Network That Suits Your Business
- September 2023
- August 2023
- July 2023
- June 2022
- May 2022
- March 2022
- January 2022
- August 2021
- July 2021
- June 2021
- May 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- September 2018
- April 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013