Robot Meta Changes for Google — SEOs and Site Owners Now Allowed to Customize Their Search Result Snippets
Google has now decided to let site owners customize their search result snippets. Which means, it’s now possible to customize how the content is previewed in search results.
Up until now, search snippets have been generated by Google as per queries by users and also based on types of devices being used.
Earlier, customization of any type was not possible neither was there as room for the same. Only a textual snippet was allowed, or not allowed at all.
So, Google is now bringing into play multiple methods to enable better configuration of the preview content made available (shown) for web pages.
As per new methods, it’s possible to use robot meta tags and also make use of a new type of HTML attribute for customizing search result snippet.
Use of Robots Meta Tags for Configuring Search Snippets
Google has made it possible to configure content shown in search snipper previews by using robots meta tags.
You can clearly see how robots meta tags are added to an HTML page or have been specified via the x-robots-tag HTTP header:
If you don’t wish any textual snippet to be shown for a page, you can then use this existing option and clearly specify the same.
This option is new and meant to let site owners clearly specify a maximum text-length in characters of a snipper for the web page.
This option is also new and brought by Google to let site owners clearly specify a maximum duration (in seconds) of an animated video preview.
This option is new and meant to let site owners clearly specify a maximum size of image preview which has to be shown for images on the page, using either “large”, “none” or “standard”.
New data-nosnippet HTML attribute
Google is bringing in new ways to help sites owners restrict the part of a page they want or not want to be shown as a preview in search results.
The introduction of new “data-nosnippt” HTML attribute can dive, span and section elements are there to stop specific parts of an HTML pages from getting shown within the textual snippet in search results.
Clearly, site owners now have a method by their side which they can use to prevent Google from giving away more than the desired level of content in search results.
Robot meta changes – what site owners and SEOs need to know
The recent changes in regard to search result snippets have altered the search space a bit. The changes are something that site owners and SEO people need to know to control Google from revealing more than they want.
Here are some of key things site owners and SEOs need to know regarding robot meta changes –
1. The latest update will bring no changes to search rankings
Site owners and SEO people need to keep this clearly in mind that the latest update will only affect the way snippets are shown in search results. Google has made it quite clear that the updates or settings won’t have any impact on search rankings. But yes, you can’t rule out the possibility that there may be an effect on CTR which could cause an impact to traffic in the case depending on how these settings have been configured by site owners. But that is not related to search rankings.
2. The changes will become effective from late October 2019
SEOs and site owners need to know that the latest updates or changes will become effective in mid-to-late October 2019. So, you should expect preview settings for robots meta tags to take at least a week to come into effect from the day its roll our starts. However, no timeframe is available for the data-nosnippet HTML attribute though it’s likely to be effective later this year.
3. The new changes won’t affect how rich results are shown
SEOs and site owners across the world are eager to know whether the changes will affect how rich results are shown. Well, they should know that any of the new settings will not affect content in structured data which can be displayed as a rich result. Plus, site owners can always decide or control what to choose to include in the structured data or over content shown in rich results.
4. The changes will affect featured snippets
The availability of preview content affects featured snippets and we all know that well. So, if site owners restrict the preview content too heavily, it may then not be eligible to be shown as a featured snippet, though you can still have it displayed as a regular snippet.
Plus, Google can never come up with an exact maximums-snippets length for eligibility as each language has a different number of characters requirements for a featured snippet.
5. SEOs can experiment with snipper length
Yes, SEO people and site owners are free to adjust the settings as and when they need. They can just change the HTML attribute in case they want to specify a max-snippet length but later switch to displaying a longer snippet in search results.
Google has also made it amply clear that there will be no difference between new methods of configuring search snippet preview and other results displayed globally. In case the settings are altered, the new preferences will then be shown in search results the next time Google re-crawls the pages.
6. The new settings are not only hints or suggestions
SEOs and site owners can expect and feel confident that Google will follow the settings in a total manner. It will not see the new settings as mere hints or suggestions. Above all, Google is going to abide by all the preferences of site owners as specified in the robots meta tags or in the HTML attribute.
7. The rules will be same for both desktop and mobile settings
There will be no difference between mobile and desktop settings and preview preferences will be applied to search results of both. The same mark-up can be used on both in case a site has separate desktop and mobile versions.
- How To Call Batch Apex By Scheduler Class Within Salesforce
- What Is The Importance Of Google Algorithm Updates
- How To Create Dynamic Dependent Picklist Of Objects Within Salesforce
- What Is Wrapper Class & How To Use It In Salesforce
- How To Create Pagination Within Salesforce
- Tips For Hiring A Good Offshore Drupal Development Company
- Web Development Mistakes That Affect Your Online Reputation
- How To Integrate Google Maps Into Your Salesforce Software
- Check Your Link Building Strategy For 2014
- Tips For Selling Products Through Social Networking
- How To Create A Chart With Salesforce
- Benefits of Using India For Outsourcing & Offshore Development
- How To Integrate Salesforce With Facebook
- What Is Service Cloud Console In Salesforce & How To Enable It
- Superior Offshore Web Development At A Reasonable Cost
- How To Create Bucket Fields In Your Salesforce Reports
- 5 Things To Consider When Hiring A Drupal Developer
- Growth Of E-commerce Website Development
- Challenges In Hiring An Offshore Web Development Company
- 10 Tips When Creating Batch Apex In Salesforce
- What To Include & What To Exclude In SEO Plans
- How To Create An Opportunity Using A Visualforce Page In Salesforce
- Hire An Offshore Ruby On Rails Development Company Over A Freelancer
- Hire Drupal Developers Offshore To Increase Your Capabilities
- Effective SEO In A Post Panda Update – The Rules Have Changed
- Common Mistakes In Offshore Web Development
- What To Consider While Hiring A Dedicated Ruby On Rails Developer?
- Smart Phone & Tablet User Penetration
- Tips For Hiring A Good Offshore PHP Development Company
- Why Responsive Web Design Is Essential For Your Business
- How To Email Documents From Salesforce
- Website Development And Website Design Company India
- Why Work With An Offshore Development Company?
- How To Create Tab Panel In Salesforce
- How To Avoid 5 Common Off-Page SEO Mistakes
- The Multi-Billion Dollar Offshore Software Development Industry
- What Are The Advantages Of Digital Marketing Over Traditional Marketing?
- SEO & Conversational Keyword Search
- How To Avoid 5 Common On-Page SEO Mistakes
- How To Add Google Authorship And Its Benefits For Better SEO
- What’s Better For Facebook Ads: CPC Or CPM?
- Questions To Ask Your Potential Search Engine Optimization Partner
- How To Create Batch Apex In Salesforce
- Benefits Of Offshore PHP Development For Your Businesses
- Offshore Magento Development Means More Than Just Development Help
- Why You Should Consider Hiring Joomla Developers Offshore
- What To Look For When Hiring A Dedicated OpenCart Developer
- Stop Using Free Web Templates – Hire A Web Development Company
- How To Manage An Offshore Development Company?
- Hire Offshore Software Professionals To Help Your Business
- Offshore Development Is A Sensible Solution For Recessionary Times
- Why You Should Offshore Your Joomla Website Development
- 5 Tips To Help You Hire A Good Offshore PHP Development Company
- Reasons Why Salesforce CRM Customization Is Easy
- PHP Development – Turn Your Website Into A Multi-Featured Web Application
- 5 Things To Ask A Web Development Company Before Starting Work
- How A Multifaceted Web Development Company Can Help You?
- Take Advantage By Hiring A PHP Development Company From India
- Use Social Media Marketing To Improve Your Brand Identity
- Hiring Dedicated Developers From Offshore Development Companies
- See Measurable Results By Hiring Dedicated Ruby On Rails Developer
- Can “Developed By” Links Hurt Your SEO?
- Avoid 4 Common WordPress Development Mistakes
- How To Get All Salesforce Components In Force.com IDE
- The Manifold Advantages Of Working With An Offshore Web Development Company
- Web Development Company In India Defined
- Hire A Dedicated Drupal Developer To Develop A High Performance CMS
- Offshore Development – The Most Beneficial And Cost Effective Way To Outsource Your Business
- What To Look For When Hiring An Offshore Development Company
- Why Dedicated PHP Web Developers Are In Demand
- How To Avoid Some Common Mistakes When Working With An Offshore Web Development Company
- How To Choose An SEO Company
- Factors To Consider When Hiring Offshore Developers In India
- What To Look For When Hiring Dedicated Magento Developers
- Why Google Create Its Own Title Instead Of Using Yours
- 3 Challenges of Working with an Offshore Web Development Company
- Why Ruby On Rails Development Has Become Popular
- Why Hire A Web Development Company That Also Offers SEO
- 10 Tips And Tricks For Salesforce
- Are Back-links Losing Their Importance To Google Search Rankings
- The Significance Of A Salesforce Developer
- 4 Reasons to Hire A Web Development Agency Over A Freelancer
- Hire A PHP Developer- How Outsourcing Can Be A Key To Success
- Importance Of Strategic Digital Marketing For Business Growth
- Factors To Keep In Mind Before Hiring Dedicated Magento Developer
- Web Development India – For Prompt And Accurate Services
- Looking For An Offshore PHP Development Company, Where Do I Begin?
- 5 SEO Myths
- How To Choose A Company When Hiring Dedicated PHP Developers
- Why You Should Optimize For Local Search
- Hiring Offshore WordPress Developers Can Help Your Business
- How To Use Social Networking To Market Your Business
- Why Offshore Web Development To India Makes Business Sense
- 5 Factors To Consider When Hiring A Web Development Company
- Top Five Benefits Of Salesforce
- Benefits Of Hiring A Dedicated PHP Developer From India
- Using SEO & Social Media Together
- How Can An SEO Company Help Your Profile Online
- Strategic Importance Of Mobile SEO
- Choose The Social Media Network That Suits Your Business
- September 2023
- August 2023
- July 2023
- June 2022
- May 2022
- March 2022
- January 2022
- August 2021
- July 2021
- June 2021
- May 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- September 2018
- April 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013