The Basics of Link Remediation, Link Removals & Disavows
Not many SEO people understand that link remediation, link removals, and disavows are critical task and they should be a regular process. This will help them stay on top of optimization efforts.
Sadly, we turn to these steps only when their utility strikes like when we find that the traffic has dropped drastically overnight which we came to know after checking our Google Search Console and Google Analytics. When the drop is huge, we wonder what could have gone wrong to cause this in a space of one night.
Chances are, a Penguin penalty has hit you. And you know this is a Google’s algorithm that targets the toxic links that harm your backlink profile. In fact, you could be in for more trouble – like an algorithmic demotion or exhaustive manual penalty – if your links border on the severe side.
Well, you should know toxic links are those that are in contradiction to Google’s Webmaster Guidelines. And you should also understand that negative SEO is still there and it can make its presence felt. In fact, anyone can start a negative SEO attack on your site and can cause your site to lose value by reaching a higher level of link velocity and saturation.
You however can recover from a Penguin penalty if you understand the basics of link remediation and have an idea of what you should do. This is where an SEO expert can help a lot to you.
How to Discover an Algorithmic Devaluation?
A link penalty can be extremely granular to the point of impacting even the page or folder of your site. It even needn’t have to be site-wide as it can affect only a specific portion of a site. In fact, Google has clearly stated that Penguin is more granular as rather than affecting the whole site ranking it will devalue spam by adjusting ranking based on spam signals.
So, Google is not necessarily going to penalize a website as a whole, but can do only parts of it. It can penalize a domain, a page, a sub directory or even a group of keywords, or anything that contributes to organic rankings can be affected by the Penguin to some extent. Naturally, you should expect to see penalty only for a part of your site rather than for the entire domain. You can also expect negative attacks to single directories.
So, in case one of your pages on the site is contributing to a ton of traffic as a whole and you find an algorithmic drop, there would be several reasons. In such cases, you should first check if a page on the site is penalized and is not able to send that much traffic. Another reason could be that you have removed the page responsible for ton of traffic.
That’s why a drop may not always be an algorithmic devaluation as it could also be brought on by the fact that you removed the page that was sending all those traffic to your site.
Is It an Algorithmic Devaluation or a Manual Penalty?
You have several ways to find out whether you have been hit by an algorithmic devaluation or a manual link penalty. You can just take help of your Google Analytics or Google Search Console and reach to the crux of the matter.
First, in Google Analytics, click on Acquisition > All Traffic > Channels.
Then, click on Organic Search.
Next, click on Landing Page as the primary dimension. You can click on Keyword if you want to go really granular; and click on Secondary dimension if you want for the landing page as secondary dimension, and then searching for landing page and then clicking on Landing Page.
By doing this, you could have information on both keyword and landing as traffic drivers on your site. This will help you know what pages have lost traffic and then you can take steps to fix the problem.
Google Search Console
Google Search Console can help you conduct more granular traffic analysis by using the search queries that are bringing traffic to your site.
So, first of all, click on the Performance button.
Next, click on + New
Then click on Page
Click on URLs Containing, and after that, type in the name of the page you’re interested in.
You will see any pages that may or may not have lost traffic.
In fact, Google Search Console will give you more details about the pages you found through the Google Analytics analysis yet could not clear the doubts much.
This will help you can answer to the cause of your link profile getting compromised.
Now, it’s time to do a link analysis to find out why there are a number of toxic links pointing back to your site. You can do a link analysis and do a detailed review of the links pointing to your site or link profile. This analysis can thus help you recover from a penalty.
What Next if You’ve Been Hit with a Manual Penalty?
A notification in Google Search Console is received when you have been hit with a manual penalty. This will let you know if any manual actions have been taken against your site.
When that happens, you just need to follow the instructions within Google Search Console, remove the links you found out, and you will recover.
When there are tons of links, it may take a lot of time getting them removed before you get back into the good old days of search rankings. In some cases, it could even take weeks or months for manual link removal with sending and receiving messages with the spam team to get those toxic links off.
So, you should try to avoid getting manual penalties as they can be tough. It’s always better to follow Google’s Webmaster Guidelines even if things take a slow pace that you desire for results. This can be quite like the support of a digital marketing expert for your brand promotion.
Get All Your Links Together
It’s time to gather all your links together in your link profile and you can do this effectively only by pulling them together from multiple sources. Thanks to those many sources, you will be able to see your profile as a whole. Even if you can’t even pull together all of your links, this will help you have a good idea of your links across the web.
Since Google does not crawl all your links, you should not expect Search Console to find all the links in your profile. You will need to combine links from different or multiple sources. Apart from Google Search Console, you can also rely on sources like SEMrush, Ahrefs, Moz Open Site Explorer etc. to gather all your links. Naturally, different software will give different links and only a combination of software can help you get all the links together.
Perform Link Remediation
Link Remediation is basically the process of link pruning. In this, you have to crawl your links, keep them together in a spreadsheet and then analyze then manually one by one. You need to mark them as spam or not spam and then define what type of link they are. It may feel boring doing that involving hard work but if you want to restore the sanity of the site you have to do that. It’s meant to be a slower process and if it’s not taking time, you are doing it wrong. Even if there is some form of automation there, you should not expect to accurately review a site using AI.
Remove Toxic Spammy Links
Removing toxic links is going to the next key aspect of your link clean up tasks. And as per Google’s official guidelines for link removal, you must devote as much time removing them as you spent building them. And if you can’t get those links removed, there is always an option to disavow them. Similarly, your link removal campaign will involve being in touch with webmasters having your link on their site and asking them to remove those links. And be sure that this process is going to take time and when you have a big site with a large link profile, it can take many hours as well. And that’s why you should try to avoid manual action penalty.
Create a Disavow File
In the end, you need to create a disavow file to let Google know there are links on your site they should not count during your site evaluation. You also need to be first sure about that the site linking to you is bad site in violation of Google’s guidelines. However, an overwhelming majority of sites don’t need disavow file and they should also not worry about random low-quality links either. So, the focus should be on only getting rid of the links that are harming you, rather than those helping you.
Link Remediation Is Critical for the Modern SEO
An algorithmic or manual penalty could be the reason behind losses to your site in terms of ranking and links. To know the exact reason behind this, you have just two options – first, do link analysis and then disavow those links causing harm to you. There may be chances that competitor has done negative SEO attack to harm you and this happens more than you could imagine. Even if that happens, you can bide time, put in effort and remove toxic links that are causing a drop in performance of your site.
And yes, you just can’t remove all links and then re-build the site’s authority to replace those links. That’s why “the disavow” is just not the end of the world and you need to continue re-acquiring valuable links. And a modern SEO is not complete without detailed analysis, remediation, and removal and disavowing of toxic links.
Clearly, you need the support of best backlink builder to get the basics of link building right and take the right step towards restoring the authority and value of your website. And when you right link profile, this can always add value to your site’s SEO performance.
- How To Call Batch Apex By Scheduler Class Within Salesforce
- What Is The Importance Of Google Algorithm Updates
- How To Create Dynamic Dependent Picklist Of Objects Within Salesforce
- What Is Wrapper Class & How To Use It In Salesforce
- How To Create Pagination Within Salesforce
- Tips For Hiring A Good Offshore Drupal Development Company
- Web Development Mistakes That Affect Your Online Reputation
- How To Integrate Google Maps Into Your Salesforce Software
- Check Your Link Building Strategy For 2014
- Tips For Selling Products Through Social Networking
- How To Create A Chart With Salesforce
- Benefits of Using India For Outsourcing & Offshore Development
- How To Integrate Salesforce With Facebook
- What Is Service Cloud Console In Salesforce & How To Enable It
- Superior Offshore Web Development At A Reasonable Cost
- How To Create Bucket Fields In Your Salesforce Reports
- 5 Things To Consider When Hiring A Drupal Developer
- Growth Of E-commerce Website Development
- Challenges In Hiring An Offshore Web Development Company
- 10 Tips When Creating Batch Apex In Salesforce
- What To Include & What To Exclude In SEO Plans
- How To Create An Opportunity Using A Visualforce Page In Salesforce
- Hire An Offshore Ruby On Rails Development Company Over A Freelancer
- Hire Drupal Developers Offshore To Increase Your Capabilities
- Effective SEO In A Post Panda Update – The Rules Have Changed
- Common Mistakes In Offshore Web Development
- What To Consider While Hiring A Dedicated Ruby On Rails Developer?
- Smart Phone & Tablet User Penetration
- Tips For Hiring A Good Offshore PHP Development Company
- Why Responsive Web Design Is Essential For Your Business
- How To Email Documents From Salesforce
- Website Development And Website Design Company India
- Why Work With An Offshore Development Company?
- How To Create Tab Panel In Salesforce
- How To Avoid 5 Common Off-Page SEO Mistakes
- The Multi-Billion Dollar Offshore Software Development Industry
- What Are The Advantages Of Digital Marketing Over Traditional Marketing?
- SEO & Conversational Keyword Search
- How To Avoid 5 Common On-Page SEO Mistakes
- How To Add Google Authorship And Its Benefits For Better SEO
- What’s Better For Facebook Ads: CPC Or CPM?
- Questions To Ask Your Potential Search Engine Optimization Partner
- How To Create Batch Apex In Salesforce
- Benefits Of Offshore PHP Development For Your Businesses
- Offshore Magento Development Means More Than Just Development Help
- What To Look For When Hiring A Dedicated OpenCart Developer
- Why You Should Consider Hiring Joomla Developers Offshore
- Stop Using Free Web Templates – Hire A Web Development Company
- How To Manage An Offshore Development Company?
- Hire Offshore Software Professionals To Help Your Business
- Offshore Development Is A Sensible Solution For Recessionary Times
- Why You Should Offshore Your Joomla Website Development
- 5 Tips To Help You Hire A Good Offshore PHP Development Company
- Reasons Why Salesforce CRM Customization Is Easy
- PHP Development – Turn Your Website Into A Multi-Featured Web Application
- 5 Things To Ask A Web Development Company Before Starting Work
- How A Multifaceted Web Development Company Can Help You?
- Take Advantage By Hiring A PHP Development Company From India
- Use Social Media Marketing To Improve Your Brand Identity
- Hiring Dedicated Developers From Offshore Development Companies
- See Measurable Results By Hiring Dedicated Ruby On Rails Developer
- Can “Developed By” Links Hurt Your SEO?
- Avoid 4 Common WordPress Development Mistakes
- How To Get All Salesforce Components In Force.com IDE
- The Manifold Advantages Of Working With An Offshore Web Development Company
- Web Development Company In India Defined
- Hire A Dedicated Drupal Developer To Develop A High Performance CMS
- Offshore Development – The Most Beneficial And Cost Effective Way To Outsource Your Business
- What To Look For When Hiring An Offshore Development Company
- Why Dedicated PHP Web Developers Are In Demand
- How To Avoid Some Common Mistakes When Working With An Offshore Web Development Company
- How To Choose An SEO Company
- Factors To Consider When Hiring Offshore Developers In India
- What To Look For When Hiring Dedicated Magento Developers
- Why Google Create Its Own Title Instead Of Using Yours
- 3 Challenges of Working with an Offshore Web Development Company
- Why Ruby On Rails Development Has Become Popular
- Why Hire A Web Development Company That Also Offers SEO
- 10 Tips And Tricks For Salesforce
- Are Back-links Losing Their Importance To Google Search Rankings
- The Significance Of A Salesforce Developer
- 4 Reasons to Hire A Web Development Agency Over A Freelancer
- Hire A PHP Developer- How Outsourcing Can Be A Key To Success
- Importance Of Strategic Digital Marketing For Business Growth
- Factors To Keep In Mind Before Hiring Dedicated Magento Developer
- Web Development India – For Prompt And Accurate Services
- Looking For An Offshore PHP Development Company, Where Do I Begin?
- 5 SEO Myths
- How To Choose A Company When Hiring Dedicated PHP Developers
- Why You Should Optimize For Local Search
- Hiring Offshore WordPress Developers Can Help Your Business
- How To Use Social Networking To Market Your Business
- Why Offshore Web Development To India Makes Business Sense
- 5 Factors To Consider When Hiring A Web Development Company
- Top Five Benefits Of Salesforce
- Benefits Of Hiring A Dedicated PHP Developer From India
- Using SEO & Social Media Together
- How Can An SEO Company Help Your Profile Online
- Strategic Importance Of Mobile SEO
- Choose The Social Media Network That Suits Your Business
- June 2022
- May 2022
- March 2022
- January 2022
- August 2021
- July 2021
- June 2021
- May 2021
- January 2021
- December 2020
- September 2020
- August 2020
- July 2020
- June 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- September 2018
- April 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013