Complete Guide To Ecommerce Website Design – Part 4
6. Intuitive menus and clutter free site navigation create a winning ecommerce site.
Nice images and easy navigation are the online equivalents to having the products displayed in easy-to-reach aisles in physical stores. Let users and site visitors browse without complications.
Navigation becomes an important issue as the online store expands and there are thousands of items to display to online visitors and customers. Smaller ecommerce websites should strive to put their seasonal specials or items on the main menu itself so that customers don’t miss them.
A. Why Hide It. A florist website should highlight its ‘Summer Specials’ or ‘Seasonal Collection.’ The same applies if you have a bakery or any other online business whose products vary according to the seasons. If existing online businesses have not changed their websites to reflect the seasonal nature of their business then that’s probably causing them some loss of business and you can gain a competitive advantage by offering those seasonal variations which others don’t.
(Florist Website should display its Seasonal Collection on the Main Menu)
B. New Arrivals or What’s New. Online clothing stores need to display this and they invariably tend to have this on their Main Menu. If you compare online clothing retailers, interestingly, Nordstrom and Bergdof Goodman both don’t seem to have an obvious ‘New Arrivals’ category at the moment whereas H&M does. When the main menu drop downs appear, each of them has a New Arrivals section or subcategory.
(H&M has New Arrivals under each of the main menu items)
Stella & Dot is even better in this regard as it has an option called ‘What’s New’ right on the main menu.
(stella & dot has a main menu option called WHAT’S NEW)
X Let Menus be Drop Down. A drop-down menu that opens up when you click on a main menu item is a better idea than a drop-down menu that opens when you hover your mouse over a main menu item. A click is a definitive action and the drop-down will appear and disappear in a predictable fashion. If you opt for the mouse-hover option instead, the drop-down menu may appear or disappear unintentionally and may irritate the users. However, most online retailers seem to opt for the ease-of-use aspect of showing the drop-down menu on mouse-hover. One less click of the mouse for the user.
Whether you have a bakery shop or a flower delivery business, the same principle applies. Fitbit has a different take. While the drop down menus open on mouse hover, when you take the mouse to a specific product, it does a little jump and a shadow appears underneath it as it does on this image below as indicated by the arrow.
(Fitbit home page showing its products)
^ Add a Recently Viewed Section. If you have recently viewed an item, it should be easily accessible from a ‘Recently Viewed’ tab or section when you move on to a different product. This makes it easy to switch between different products as the user makes comparisons between products before deciding which one to buy. Of course, Amazon has this feature.
(Amazon does a predictably thorough job with its Recently Viewed feature)
DKNY has an interesting take on the Recently Viewed feature. You see your recently viewed items right on the Home Page — towards the bottom of the Home Page — after you have done some browsing on the website and visit the Home Page.
(You see your Recently Viewed items on the Home Page of DKNY)
7. Unique Ideas and Unique Selling Propositions (USPs)
In a way, unique ideas and a Unique Selling Proposition (USP) is the very foundation of your ecommerce business. If you are not offering something new and decide to go up against existing and well-entrenched businesses, you will likely fail.
Google succeeded because it did a really good job of finding relevant search results. It was not the first search engine out there but was orders of magnitude better than existing search engines. So many others have since tried to replicate Google’s success and compete with it but have utterly failed — some have entirely disappeared, like Cuil.
Amazon did a good job with its online bookstore and then spread its wings to other items. Many have since tried to replicate Amazon’s success but few have survived.
GoPro found a nice niche and has made a good business out of selling action cameras that are rugged and built to be used outdoors.
See the stuff that Beardbrand sells. “Beard care” products such as
And “Grooming Tools” such as
Soft Goat Pad
Now that’s pretty unique!
Boxed came up with the unique idea of solving the issue of shipping fees for grocery items and provided a free shipping alternative to attract customers.
(Boxed focuses on free shipping as its USP)
Think of customized or personalized baby shower gifts.
(Personalized baby shower gifts. Yep.)
Or personalized gifts for babies.
(Personalized gifts for babies are available too)
So, yes, companies have latched on to various unique business ideas but there is certainly scope for more unique ideas. A localized version of a nationwide online store — might translate to faster delivery — or a local florist in your area are some possible unique ideas.
Find your niche.
Why should customers purchase from your business rather than from your competitor? What is your USP? Your USP could be purely business-oriented — such as ‘the freshest fruits and vegetables delivered to your doorstep without any shipping charges in under two hours.’ Or, you could have a more community-focused USP such as selling locally grown, organic vegetables online.
(Many online home delivery options exist for organic fruits and vegetables)
And one more organic, farm-fresh vegetables online supplier.
(Organic vegetables and more. Delivery is nationwide too)
People of California love healthy living.
Or your USP could be more charitable. If you sell telescopes or other scientific equipment online, you could donate a portion of your products to local schools who lack those equipments or even to schools in Africa or Asia where students may be really in need of such scientific equipment.
8. A better shopping cart and a super shipping strategy
Shopping carts or baskets have become ubiquitous and universal features of ecommerce stores — both large and small. There are various premium Magento shopping cart extensions available and you can select one that may be a ‘proven’ option or has the features that you need and you like and let your Magento ecommerce development partner configure and set it up for your ecommerce website. Similarly, for Shopify stores, there are shopping cart options from Shopify itself. You can customize your themes including your cart in Shopify.
Just make sure you have a smart shopping cart on your ecommerce site. Dumb shopping carts will cost you business on your online store. People may add items to their carts and then abandon it when they get a phone call or the baby wakes up and starts crying. They may return a week later and still hope to have the products they had added to the cart in the cart. People will abandon their carts for many reasons. A smart shopping cart will enable you to make this possible. If the user happens to be registered, you can even send a gentle reminder email a day or two or a week later telling him or her about the stuff lying in their shopping cart. Don’t do too much of the email thing though as that can get irritating.
Of course, you can create these sticky shopping carts or carts that remember items that have been added to them even without the customer having an account with your store. And customers should have the option to checkout as ‘guest’ if they wish to.
When you hit the Buy Now or Add to Cart button on a product page, the cart page should appear and give you options to ‘Continue to Checkout’ or ‘Continue Shopping.’
Apple calls its Shopping cart ‘Bag’ and you can check what you have added to your ‘Bag’ by hitting the Review Bag button displayed prominently.
(Apple has a unique ‘Review Bag’ button)
You can also view the details of the number of products in your Bag and what they are by clicking on the little icon at the top right as shown in the image above. And once you hit the Review Bag button, the image below opens up which shows more details about the products and prices in your Bag. It mentions in prominent red color that the products ship for free.
(Apple’s Shopping Cart is known simply as ‘Bag’)
And when you hit the ‘Check out’ button on the Bag page, Apple lets you checkout as a Guest if you wish.
(Apple has a ‘Continue as Guest’ option for guest checkouts)
You can see on the next page after you hit ‘Continue as Guest’ that there are four steps in the checkout process.
(Apple’s checkout steps simply shown)
‘ADD TO BAG’ is also becoming common in place of ‘add to shopping cart’ or ‘buy now.’ Here are Roberto Cavalli and DKNY.
Customers will often abandon their shopping carts. This might be your fault or might not be your fault. Customers may be simply checking out product prices and shipping costs on your website versus those at competitor websites. Customers may be in the dreaming phase of the purchasing journey.
May be they are checking for the availability of ‘Free Shipping’ or volume discounts offers or some other offer.
You can try your best to reduce your rate of cart abandonment with some exciting shipping offers or creative checkout options.
With shipping and delivery costs, transparency is paramount. When a customer adds an item to the cart, the cart page should display the running total cost of prouducts and shipping costs.
Nothing beats FREE. So, offer free shipping if it works for you. Free shipping works in clothing, gift items, food delivery, etc.
These kids’ toy store has ‘Free Delivery on Everything’ and they make it clear in the sticky top part of the image — the ‘above the fold’ area that is always visible no matter where you are on the website.
(Fun4Kids has free delivery on everything and they highlight it on their website)
With food items, it probably makes sense to add a transparent delivery charge rather than jacking up the prices of all the items on the menu.
Customers may be more tempted by food that is reasonably priced and will be willing to pay a normal home delivery cost.
Of course, when you offer Free Shipping but also have international shipping options for overseas customers, you have to make it clear that the ‘Free Shipping’ option is for Domestic Shipping only or U.S. and Canada only.
Flat rate shipping is the next best option to free shipping and this works with small items, clothing, shoes, etc.
The most advanced option is to implement a shipping rate calculator. This will only be needed if you store a variety of goods and are more of an online grocery store, a hardware or home improvement store.
Remember that lots of customers like to revisit a store that offers free shipping. On the other hand, shipping costs are among the main reasons for cart abandonment in online shopping.
And almost every customer would like to be able to track their order. So, add that feature to your ecommerce store.
- How To Call Batch Apex By Scheduler Class Within Salesforce
- What Is The Importance Of Google Algorithm Updates
- How To Create Dynamic Dependent Picklist Of Objects Within Salesforce
- What Is Wrapper Class & How To Use It In Salesforce
- How To Create Pagination Within Salesforce
- Tips For Hiring A Good Offshore Drupal Development Company
- Web Development Mistakes That Affect Your Online Reputation
- How To Integrate Google Maps Into Your Salesforce Software
- Check Your Link Building Strategy For 2014
- Tips For Selling Products Through Social Networking
- How To Create A Chart With Salesforce
- Benefits of Using India For Outsourcing & Offshore Development
- How To Integrate Salesforce With Facebook
- What Is Service Cloud Console In Salesforce & How To Enable It
- Superior Offshore Web Development At A Reasonable Cost
- How To Create Bucket Fields In Your Salesforce Reports
- 5 Things To Consider When Hiring A Drupal Developer
- Growth Of E-commerce Website Development
- Challenges In Hiring An Offshore Web Development Company
- 10 Tips When Creating Batch Apex In Salesforce
- What To Include & What To Exclude In SEO Plans
- How To Create An Opportunity Using A Visualforce Page In Salesforce
- Hire An Offshore Ruby On Rails Development Company Over A Freelancer
- Hire Drupal Developers Offshore To Increase Your Capabilities
- Effective SEO In A Post Panda Update – The Rules Have Changed
- Common Mistakes In Offshore Web Development
- What To Consider While Hiring A Dedicated Ruby On Rails Developer?
- Smart Phone & Tablet User Penetration
- Tips For Hiring A Good Offshore PHP Development Company
- Why Responsive Web Design Is Essential For Your Business
- How To Email Documents From Salesforce
- Website Development And Website Design Company India
- Why Work With An Offshore Development Company?
- How To Create Tab Panel In Salesforce
- How To Avoid 5 Common Off-Page SEO Mistakes
- The Multi-Billion Dollar Offshore Software Development Industry
- What Are The Advantages Of Digital Marketing Over Traditional Marketing?
- SEO & Conversational Keyword Search
- How To Avoid 5 Common On-Page SEO Mistakes
- How To Add Google Authorship And Its Benefits For Better SEO
- What’s Better For Facebook Ads: CPC Or CPM?
- Questions To Ask Your Potential Search Engine Optimization Partner
- How To Create Batch Apex In Salesforce
- Benefits Of Offshore PHP Development For Your Businesses
- Offshore Magento Development Means More Than Just Development Help
- What To Look For When Hiring A Dedicated OpenCart Developer
- Why You Should Consider Hiring Joomla Developers Offshore
- Stop Using Free Web Templates – Hire A Web Development Company
- How To Manage An Offshore Development Company?
- Hire Offshore Software Professionals To Help Your Business
- Offshore Development Is A Sensible Solution For Recessionary Times
- Why You Should Offshore Your Joomla Website Development
- 5 Tips To Help You Hire A Good Offshore PHP Development Company
- Reasons Why Salesforce CRM Customization Is Easy
- PHP Development – Turn Your Website Into A Multi-Featured Web Application
- 5 Things To Ask A Web Development Company Before Starting Work
- How A Multifaceted Web Development Company Can Help You?
- Take Advantage By Hiring A PHP Development Company From India
- Use Social Media Marketing To Improve Your Brand Identity
- Hiring Dedicated Developers From Offshore Development Companies
- See Measurable Results By Hiring Dedicated Ruby On Rails Developer
- Can “Developed By” Links Hurt Your SEO?
- Avoid 4 Common WordPress Development Mistakes
- How To Get All Salesforce Components In Force.com IDE
- The Manifold Advantages Of Working With An Offshore Web Development Company
- Hire A Dedicated Drupal Developer To Develop A High Performance CMS
- Web Development Company In India Defined
- Offshore Development – The Most Beneficial And Cost Effective Way To Outsource Your Business
- What To Look For When Hiring An Offshore Development Company
- Why Dedicated PHP Web Developers Are In Demand
- How To Avoid Some Common Mistakes When Working With An Offshore Web Development Company
- How To Choose An SEO Company
- Factors To Consider When Hiring Offshore Developers In India
- What To Look For When Hiring Dedicated Magento Developers
- Why Google Create Its Own Title Instead Of Using Yours
- 3 Challenges of Working with an Offshore Web Development Company
- Why Ruby On Rails Development Has Become Popular
- Why Hire A Web Development Company That Also Offers SEO
- 10 Tips And Tricks For Salesforce
- Are Back-links Losing Their Importance To Google Search Rankings
- The Significance Of A Salesforce Developer
- 4 Reasons to Hire A Web Development Agency Over A Freelancer
- Hire A PHP Developer- How Outsourcing Can Be A Key To Success
- Importance Of Strategic Digital Marketing For Business Growth
- Factors To Keep In Mind Before Hiring Dedicated Magento Developer
- Web Development India – For Prompt And Accurate Services
- Looking For An Offshore PHP Development Company, Where Do I Begin?
- 5 SEO Myths
- How To Choose A Company When Hiring Dedicated PHP Developers
- Why You Should Optimize For Local Search
- Hiring Offshore WordPress Developers Can Help Your Business
- How To Use Social Networking To Market Your Business
- Why Offshore Web Development To India Makes Business Sense
- 5 Factors To Consider When Hiring A Web Development Company
- Top Five Benefits Of Salesforce
- Benefits Of Hiring A Dedicated PHP Developer From India
- Using SEO & Social Media Together
- How Can An SEO Company Help Your Profile Online
- Strategic Importance Of Mobile SEO
- Choose The Social Media Network That Suits Your Business
- Why Offshore Web Development Services Make Sense
- Evaluating The Pros And Cons Of Offshore Web Development
- Offshore Joomla Development Help & Much More
- Breaking SEO Myths – SEO Is Simpler Than You Think
- Is SEO Important?
- OpenCart Development – An Incredibly Powerful E-commerce Platform
- 4 Things To Avoid In Offshore Web Development
- Digital Marketing Tips
- Why PHP Web Development Makes Sense
- Find A Website Development Company That Suits Your Needs
- OpenCart Development A Superb E-commerce Choice
- Mobile SEO – What Should You Be Thinking About?
- Why You Should Consider Offshore Software Development
- How Open Source Web Development Is Beneficial
- Website Load Time Has A Deep Impact On Your Business
- 5 Reasons To Use A Client Focused Web Development Company
- Top 5 Reasons To Use A CMS System For Your Website
- Why Is It The Perfect Time To Get An E-Commerce Website Developed?
- How To Generate Traffic From Blogging
- E-Commerce Growing Faster Than Ever
- SEO Is Both A Science & Art
- 6 Tips On How To Increase Your Website Speed
- Increase In Demand For Offshore PHP Development
- The Use And Benefits Of The Force.com Platform
- Activities A Search Engine Optimization Specialist Performs
- The Most Important Factors For Successful E-commerce SEO
- PHP Development & Much More
- Brilliant Web Development Services Offshore
- Magento Shopping Cart- One Of The Best Shopping Carts Available
- Cloud Computing Offers Fundamental Service Models To Users
- How Search Engines Work & Why Search Engine Optimization Is Important
- Opencart Development – An Adaptable E-commerce Platform
- E-Commerce SEO Techniques
- Do You Need A Web Design Company
- How Can I Get Help From Salesforce Directly?
- How Effective Is Hiring A Freelancer Instead Of A Web Development Company
- Tips To Create A Good Backlink Profile
- Aspects To Consider Before Choosing An Offshore Web Development Company
- What To Look For In An Offshore Joomla Development Company
- Offshore PHP Developers Can Increase Your Bottom Line
- Importance Of Google+ In Search Ranking
- Mind Digital Group Selected By Silicon India – Startup Of The Year 2014 Web Development
- What Exactly Is Offshore Web Development
- Impact Of Social Media on Ecommerce
- Custom Website Design And Online Promotion Go Hand-In-Hand
- Gaining Efficiencies & Remaining Competitive With Offshore Development
- 5 Things To Consider In Web Development
- 4 Simple Ways To Boost Your SEO Using Social Media
- Make Social Media Work For Your Business
- Hiring Offshore PHP Development Resources
- 5 Tips On How To Increase Traffic To Your Blog
- How Can An Offshore Development Center Help Me?
- Importance Of Communicating Your Needs To Your Web Developer
- Growth Of Mobile Web App Development
- Why You Should Outsource Your Social Media Marketing
- Mobile & Tablet Applications Usage
- Why Google Plus Needs To Be Taken Seriously
- Offshore Development Offers Higher Rewards And Less Risks
- Why You Should Consider Hiring Someone For Search Engine Optimization
- A Comprehensive Digital Marketing Campaign Can Do Wonders
- What’s Better For SEO Mobile Design Or Responsive Design
- Offshore Drupal Development Is A Brilliant Choice
- OpenCart Development Benefits For An Ecommerce Store
- Importance Of Social Media For Branding
- Ruby On Rails Offshore Development And ROR Benefits
- Online Reputation Management To Enhance Your Online Presence
- Social Networking
- Offshore Web Development A Boon Or A Bane
- Why India Has Become A Hub Of Offshore Web Development
- Is Search Engine Optimization Really Important?
- Six Reasons Why India Is A Special Offshoring Zone
- Social Media Is Here To Stay
- Custom Web Development Services – Tailored To Meet Your Specific Needs
- Know What Search Engine Optimization Can Do For You
- Offshore Joomla Development Is A Viable Option
- Build A Brilliant Ecommerce Store With An Offshore Magento Development Company
- Ever-Increasing Demand For Dedicated PHP Developers
- Offshore Development Serving To Be The Cheaper Alternative
- Web Development Versus Web Design – Is There Really A Difference?
- How Can A Web Development Company Help Your Business
- Offshore Web Development India And Innovative Techniques
- Brand Awareness Through Social Media
- Offshore Drupal Development For A Cost-Effective Website
- Why Requirement Analysis Is Necessary For Web Development
- Grow Your Business With Efficient Offshore PHP Development
- Dedicated Joomla Developers Can Help Your Business Excel
- Superior Results With Offshore Magento Development
- Offshore Web Development For An Alluring Website
- Search Engine Optimization To Increase Your Web Traffic
- PHP Web Development Solutions Impact On Your Business
- India Is The Location For Offshore Magento Development
- Choose WordPress Development For A Great Website
- Search Engine Optimization Is Not Rocket Science
- Offshore Web Development Is A Viable Option
- Offshore Ruby On Rails Development Is A Superb Choice For Development
- The Evolution Of Search Engine Optimization
- 4 Crucial Factors For Search Engine Optimization
- Magento Development For A Brilliant Ecommerce Store
- Hire Dedicated Joomla Developers For Cost Effective Web Development
- Offshore PHP Development Can Help Anyone Succeed
- 5 Reasons Why WordPress Development Is So Popular
- Offshore Drupal Development Is A Cost Effective Option
- Why Choose Custom Web Development
- What Not To Do With An Offshore Web Development Company
- Simple Tips On Magento Ecommerce Development
- Why You Should Hire An Offshore Magento Developer From India
- Ruby On Rails For Robust And Rapid Development
- Create A Robust Website With An Offshore Drupal Development Company
- Advantages Of Outsourcing Web Development Projects
- Hire An Offshore Magento Developer For Cost Effective Services
- Internet Mogul Magazine Coverage – Mind Digital Group
- Offshore PHP Development – Know Your Options
- Take Advantage Of The Global Perspective Of An Offshore Web Development Company
- The Many Advantages Of Choosing Ruby On Rails Development
- 5 Brilliant WordPress Plugins
- 5 Reasons To Choose Drupal Development
- Importance Of Choosing The Right Offshore PHP Development Company
- Why Hiring Dedicated PHP Developers Is A Viable Choice
- Top 5 PHP Development Frameworks That Speed Up Development
- Qualities To Look For In An Offshore Web Development Company
- Hiring An Offshore Web Development Company Can Benefit Your Business
- Four Things To Help You Choose The Right WordPress Development Company
- What Is The Role Of An Online Reputation Management Agency For Your Business?
- Why Go With An Offshore Web Development Company
- Quality Provided By Offshore Web Development Companies
- Benefits Of Choosing OpenCart Development
- How Onshore Web Development Is Being Replaced By Offshore Web Development
- Reasons For The Necessity Of Search Engine Optimization
- Magento Development Is An Ideal Ecommerce Solution
- Considerations When Hiring An Offshore Web Development Company
- What Benefits Can Social Media Bring To Your Business
- Why Has Magento Development Become So Popular
- 3 Brilliant Extensions For Your Magento Ecommerce Store
- India Is The Location For Offshore Magento Development
- Offshore Joomla Development Will Help Your Business
- Convenience And Ease Of Use Makes OpenCart Development Popular
- Offshore PHP Development Is A Budget Friendly Way To Develop A Website
- Magento Development Is A Smart Business Decision
- Offshore Web Development Can Save Your Business
- Drupal Development Has Many Benefits
- Should I Go For WordPress Or Joomla Web Development
- Magento Development In India Is A Brilliant Option For Your E-commerce Needs
- Offshore Magento Developers To Maximize ROI On Your Budget
- An SEO Company Can Help Your Website
- Offshore PHP Development – Know Your Options
- Magento Development To Build An Enterprise Ecommerce Store
- What Everybody Ought To Know About Offshore Web Development
- Why It Is Important To Choose An Experienced Website Designer
- Investing In Paid Search Or Search Engine Optimization
- Considerations To Hire An Offshore Web Developer
- Offshore PHP Developers Is A Good Business Idea
- Things To Look For In An OpenCart Development Company
- What Is A Headless Drupal CMS ?
- Power Of SEO And Social Media For Your Business
- Quality Offshore Web Development Results Comes With Experience
- Offshore Web Development To Meet Varying Business Needs
- Offshore Joomla Development Is An Exceptional Choice
- Offshore OpenCart Development For The Online Store Of Your Dreams
- 5 Things To Consider In Offshore Web Development
- How To Recruit An Offshore WordPress Development Company
- Benefits Of Hiring Dedicated Joomla Developers For Your Business
- Offshore Web Development Is A Cost Effective Solution
- 3 Tips To Find A Good Offshore Web Development Company